Re: [RFC 2.6.11-rc2-mm2 0/7] mm: manual page migration -- overviewII

From: Ray Bryant
Date: Mon Feb 21 2005 - 02:36:48 EST

Paul Jackson wrote:

You have to walk to full node mapping for each array, but
even with hundreds of nodes that should not be that costly

I presume if you knew that the job only had pages on certain nodes,
perhaps due to aggressive use of cpusets, that you would only have to
walk those nodes, right?

I don't think Andi was proposing you have to search all of the pages
on a node. I think that the idea was that the (count, old_nodes, new_nodes)
parameters would have to be converted to a full node_map such as is done
in the patch (let's call it "sample code") that I sent out with the
overview that started this whole discussion. node_map[] is MAX_NUMNODES
in length, and node_map[i] gives the node where pages on node i should be
migrated to, or is -1 if we are not migrating pages on this node.

Since we have extended the interface to support -1 as a possible value for
the old_nodes array [and it matches any old node], then in that case we
would make node_map[i]=new_node for all values of i.

--
Best Regards,
Ray