Re: Odd data corruption problem with LVM/ReiserFS

From: Andreas Steinmetz
Date: Mon Feb 21 2005 - 06:39:05 EST

Alex Adriaanse wrote:
As far as I can tell all the directories are still intact, but there
was a good number of files that had been corrupted. Those files
looked like they had some chunks removed, and some had a bunch of NUL
characters (in blocks of 4096 characters). Some files even had chunks
of other files inside of them!

I can second that. I had the same experience this weekend on a md/dm/reiserfs setup. The funny thing is that e.g. find reports I/O errors but if you then run tar on the tree you eventually get the correct data from tar. Then run find again and you'll again get I/O errors.

I did a reiserfsck (3.6.19) on /var, which did not report any problems.

You need to run 'reiserfsck --rebuild-tree' and see what happens :-(

Anyway, what do you guys think could be the problem? Could it be that
the LVM / Device Mapper snapshot feature is solely responsible for
this corruption? (I'm sure there's a reason it's marked
Experimental).

I don't think so - I changed from reiserfs to ext3 without changing the underlying dm/raid5 and this seems to work properly.

I can furthermore state that reiserfs without dm/md does work correctly as I use reiserfs on a ieee1394 backup disk (that saved me from terrible trouble).

Currently I can only warn to not use reiserfs with dm/md on 2.6.
--
Andreas Steinmetz SPAMmers use robotrap@xxxxxxxx