Re: [RFC 2.6.11-rc2-mm2 0/7] mm: manual page migration -- overview II

From: Andi Kleen
Date: Mon Feb 21 2005 - 07:12:55 EST

On Mon, Feb 21, 2005 at 02:42:16AM -0600, Ray Bryant wrote:
> All,
>
> Just an update on the idea of migrating a process without suspending
> it.
>
> The hard part of the problem here is to make sure that the page_migrate()
> system call sees all of the pages to migrate. If the process that is
> being migrated can still allocate pages, then the page_migrate() call
> may miss some of the pages.

I would do an easy 95% solution:

When process has default process policy set temporarily a prefered policy
with the new node

[this won't work with multiple nodes though, so you have to decide on one
or stop the process if that is unacceptable]

> One way to solve this problem is to force the process to start allocating
> pages on the new nodes before calling page_migrate(). There are a couple
> of subcases:
>
> (1) For memory mapped files with a non-DEFAULT associated memory policy,
> one can use mbind() to fixup the memory policy. (This assumes the
> Steve Longerbeam patches are applied, as I understand things).

I would just ignore them. If user space wants it can handle it,
but it's probably not worth it.

> (1) could be handled as part of the page_migrate() system call --
> make one pass through the address space searching for mempolicy()
> data structures, and updating them as necessary. Then make a second
> pass through and do the migrations. Any new allocations will then
> be done under the new mempolicy, so they won't be missed. But this
> still gets us into trouble if the old and new node lists are not
> disjoint.

I wouldn't bother fixing up VMA policies.

> This doesn't handle anonymous memory or mapped files associated with
> the DEFAULT policy. A way around that would be to add a target cpu_id

[...]

I would set temporarily a prefered policy as mentioned above.

That only handles a single node, but you solution is not better.

-Andi