Re: ide-scsi is deprecated for cd burning! Use ide-cd and give dev=/dev/hdX as device

From: Bartlomiej Zolnierkiewicz
Date: Mon Feb 21 2005 - 10:26:47 EST

Hi,

On Mon, 21 Feb 2005 15:00:28 +0000, Alan Cox <alan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Gwe, 2005-02-18 at 10:31, Kiniger, Karl (GE Healthcare) wrote:
> > Not entirely true (at least for me). I actually tried to read the
> > last iso9660 data sector with a small C program (reading 2 kb) and
> > it failed to read the sector. Using ide-scsi I was able to read it.....
>
> Thats the bug that should now be fixed by the ide changes I did so that
> ide-cd has the knowledge ide-scsi has for partial completions of I/O

I haven't looked closely but I've noticed that these fixes are accessing rq->bio
directly which is a layering violation. Could you de-bio and submit them?
[ AFAIR they are already splitted out in RHEL4 ]

Speaking about ide-scsi, it will be undeprecated after I fix the locking.
Rationale is that ide-scsi is _much_ simpler than ide-{cd,tape}.
[ although it doesn't support all the hardware that ide-{cd,tape} do ]

Bartlomiej