Re: uninterruptible sleep lockups

From: Anthony DiSante
Date: Tue Feb 22 2005 - 06:20:39 EST

Helge Hafting wrote:
The infrastructure for that does not exist, so instead, the "killed" process remains. Not all of it, but at least the memory pinned down by the io request. This overhead is typically small, and the overehad of adding forced io abort to every driver might
be larger than a handful of stuck processes. It looks ugly, but perhaps a ps flag that hides the ugly processes is enough.

I don't care about any overhead associated with stuck processes, nor do I care that they look ugly in the ps output. What I care about is the fact that at least once a week on multiple systems with different hardware, some HW-related driver/process gets stuck, then immediately cascades its stuckness up to udevd or hald, and then I can't use any of my hardware anymore until I reboot.

-Anthony DiSante
http://nodivisions.com/