Re: uninterruptible sleep lockups

From: Bernd Petrovitsch
Date: Wed Feb 23 2005 - 05:07:15 EST

On Tue, 2005-02-22 at 22:05 -0300, Horst von Brand wrote:
> Chris Friesen <cfriesen@xxxxxxxxxx> said:
[...]
> > Maybe I'm on crack, but would it not be technically possible to have all
> > resource usage be tracked so that when a task tries to do something and
> > hangs, eventually it gets cleaned up?
>
> Sure. But there is /no way/ to know if the task will ever do something
> (Turing's undecibility sees to that, even with perfect hardware), so the

ACK. But if root says "it will not come" (through whatever method), the
we have a decision good enough for real life.
The downside is that we need for each usage of these items explicit
checks and cleanup code (which wants to be written and tested) after
each usage.
Does this pay off?

Bernd
--
Firmix Software GmbH http://www.firmix.at/
mobil: +43 664 4416156 fax: +43 1 7890849-55