Re: mouse still losing sync and thus jumping around

From: Anthony DiSante
Date: Wed Feb 23 2005 - 22:12:36 EST

Dmitry Torokhov wrote:
Yes, It usually happens either under high load, when mouse interrupts are
significantly delayed. Or sometimes it happen when applications poll
battey status and on some boxes it takes pretty long time. And because
it is usually the same chip that serves keyboard/mouse it again delays
mouse interrupts.

I have this problem with recent 2.6.10 kernels too, but it has nothing to do with load in my case; it happens whenever I switch my KVM to the linux box.

Long ago and far away, it used to be that switching out of X, then back in (ctrl-alt-F1, then ctrl-alt-F7) would reset the mouse and stop the jumping. At some point in late 2.4/early 2.6 that stopped working, and the only fix was to unplug the mouse from the KVM switch and re-plug it.

In Oct 2004 I posted to lkml with subject "KVM -> jumping mouse... still no solution?" Dmitry Torokhov (hi :) responded that this would work on 2.6.9-rc3+:

echo -n "reconnect" > /sys/bus/serio/devices/serioX/driver

That was GREAT and it worked for a while, but now my last few 2.6.10 kernels don't seem to care when I do that, and again, unplugging the mouse is the only thing that works. I'm currently running 2.6.10-gentoo-r6.

-Anthony DiSante
http://nodivisions.com/