Re: 64-bit pci bar on a 32-bit kernel

From: Jeff Garzik
Date: Thu Feb 24 2005 - 16:05:57 EST

Terence Ripperda wrote:
Hello,

we've gotten a customer report of a problem whereby our framebuffer is
not visible through the kernel. the kernel data structures in struct
pci_dev have bar1 (our framebuffer) set to 0, and the bar does not
appear in /proc/pci.

after a little investigation, it appears that the bios allocated a
64-bit bar in pci config space. our gpu claims 64-bit support in pci
config space and the cpu is an em64t. but the customer is running a
32-bit kernel on the em64t, which is a reasonable thing to do. it
turns out the pci driver does not like 64-bit bars on a 32-bit kernel
and prints out the following messages during boot:

PCI: PCI BIOS revision 2.10 entry at 0xf0031, last bus=5
PCI: Using configuration type 1
PCI: Probing PCI hardware
PCI: Probing PCI hardware (bus 00)
PCI: Ignoring BAR0-3 of IDE controller 00:1f.1
PCI: Unable to handle 64-bit address space for
PCI: Unable to handle 64-bit address space for
PCI: Unable to handle 64-bit address for device 03:00.0
PCI: Unable to handle 64-bit address space for

Is this an expected problem? Is there any reason why the 32-bit kernel
couldn't handle 64-bit bars?

hmmm, that's a good question.

I wonder if ioremap() even supports 64-bit addresses on 32-bit platforms?

64-bit MMIO is a bit different from 64-bit DMA; though its still only page tables...

Jeff