Re: Slightly OT: We should move linux related channels off of FreeNode

From: Bill Davidsen
Date: Thu Feb 24 2005 - 17:51:11 EST

Patrick McFarland wrote:
Today lilo (the FreeNode network owner) has decided to make one step away in a direction opposite of freedom, and banned all Tor users from the FreeNode network.

Tor ( http://tor.eff.org ) is an open source anonymous gateway system. Many users who are not in the position to be able to use IRC otherwise (such as those who live in countries who do not believe in free speech) now cannot use Freenode any longer.

How does tor.eff.org identify the oppressed users who have no other means of free speech from the flaming assholes who disrupt irc under the cloak of anonimity? Are you saying that there is no problem on freenode caused by these users, and this action is just a block for no reason other than a hatred of anonymous users?

Do we want to use an IRC network that no longer supports freedom? Our only option is to move to another network, such as irc.noderebellion.net or irc.oftc.net. Channels such as #kernelnewbies have already moved to oftc due to lilo's past actions.

In what sense "moved?" There is a channel, there are lots of people there, they are discussing Linux, they are making sense... If you mean YOU have moved to a channel of the same name elsewhere, or that people you think are important, helpful, or whatever have moved, fine. But unlike some of the other channels which come up with a note saying they have moved, #kernelnewbies continues to exist and be used. By people willing to answer a question, even.

Freedom of speech is an odd thing, people think that they have lost it if a publisher will not publish their material, however you define publisher and media. I don't personally believe it includes the right to force me to listen, or disrupt ongoing conversations.

Both USEnet and E-Mail have been flooded by people claiming freedom of speech. In the battle to keep the Internet useful, there is collateral damage, and it sounds as if this is what's happening. You would be far more accurate to say that freenode has made a different balance between freedom for people willing to identify themselves and freedom for everyone without regard for their content. Terms like "no longer supports freedom" are not helpful.

--
-bill davidsen (davidsen@xxxxxxx)