Re: Intel ICH7 SATA support question for ATA_PIIX

From: Jeff Garzik
Date: Fri Feb 25 2005 - 19:04:18 EST

Greg Felix wrote:
I have two new OEM machines that are both ICH7 chipsets. Both machines give the same vendor and device PCI ids for their
storage controllers.

8086:27df and 8086:27c0

I noticed that Jason Gaston submitted a patch that made it into
2.6.11-rc1 to add support for ICH7 into ata_piix. I'm using
2.6.11-rc5 and am getting good results on one of my machines.

The problem I'm having is that the other machine doesn't seem to be
supported even though it appears to be the same controller (by PCI ID
at least). My modules.pcimap file shows that x27df and x27c0 are both
mapped to the piix driver. I'm seeing nothing in /proc/partitions.

Perhaps someone at Intel, or HP, or Jason Gaston, or Jeff Garzik even
can shed some light on this or tell me where I can look to determine a
chipset version number that can be used to differentiate the two
boxes? I'll gladly provide any more information I've forgotten.

See REPORTING-BUGS for the sort of information you should provide. This is a "it doesn't work" report without much more info.

I would suggest doing a "modprobe ata_piix" or "modprobe ahci" (depending on ICH7 mode and hardware) and see what happens in 'dmesg'.

Jeff