Re: [2.6 patch] deprecate EXPORT_SYMBOL(do_settimeofday)

From: Adrian Bunk
Date: Sat Feb 26 2005 - 11:26:33 EST

On Sat, Feb 26, 2005 at 02:46:35PM +0000, Russell King wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 26, 2005 at 02:33:37PM +0100, Adrian Bunk wrote:
>
> Please don't deprecate this symbol. ARM has a large variety of RTC
> implementations, some of which reside in I2C modules which are yet
> to be merged.
>
> Firstly, these aren't accessible until the i2c subsystem has been
> initialised. Secondly, i2c is modular, so this function must be
> accessible from a module in order for the system time/date to be
> initialised from the RTC with a modular build.
>
> (It can be argued that you wouldn't want to build such a thing as a
> module in the first place, in which case removing the export would
> of course be fine. However, we can't sanely force I2C to be either
> always builtin, and placing this expectation on people will eventually
> lead other janitors to complain that the symbol is used by modules but
> isn't exported.)

I saw drivers/acorn/char/i2c.c, but this file is always built statically
on ARCH_ACORN without any dependency between ARCH_ACORN and I2C.
This is buggy.

Why can't such drivers select I2C and other required I2C_* variables?

Appropriate depends or selects are required in any case.
If you plan to make drivers like drivers/acorn/char/i2c.c modular, my
patch is void.

cu
Adrian

"Only a promise," Lao Er said.