Re: how to use schedule_work()

From: Parag Warudkar
Date: Sat Feb 26 2005 - 12:00:31 EST

> hai all,
> I want to call call_usermodehelper() from schedule_work() to run the
> user program in the process context. Can u please tell me how to call
> schedule_work(), plz give any reference manual for that.

Download cscope from cscope.sourceforge.net - The site has a good tutorial on using it with linux kernel. (It's a source code searching tool - you can find for example, all functions that call a particular function and so on.) I find it very useful when you want to understand things from source code.

Then find for schedule_work, look into the source where it is used and see if you can comprehend it that way.

In essence - you need to setup and initialize a struct work_struct (this cannot be on a function local stack since callers stack will not be available when the work is executed) fill it with function to be called and arguments to be passed and then call schedule_work from say an interrupt.

Parag