Re: [2.6 patch] deprecate EXPORT_SYMBOL(do_settimeofday)

From: Adrian Bunk
Date: Sat Feb 26 2005 - 19:44:29 EST

On Sat, Feb 26, 2005 at 05:29:22PM +0000, Russell King wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 26, 2005 at 06:13:25PM +0100, Adrian Bunk wrote:
> > You call it "breakage" because you have a relatively dogmatic view
> > regarding the selection of user visible symbols.
> > Other people care more about the usability of the kernel config system,
> > and therefore a select of one of the I2C* options is quite common from
> > both outside and inside the i2c subsystem.
>
> I think you have to realise that we're different in the ARM world.
> We tend to rely on the default configuration files to come out with
> something that works, rather than hard coding the "what works" into
> the kernel configuration subsystem.
>
> If you want to see an example of this kind of "usability" approach,
> take a look at arch/arm/Kconfig LEDS options - lines of 250 or so
> characters of dependencies. Not what I'd call particularly
> maintainable.
>
> That is what your approach has in store for the other Kconfig files
> when it comes down to getting dependencies Correct(tm).

LEDS=n and LEDS_TIMER=y is a legal configuration if ARCH_EBSA110?

The LEDS_TIMER dependencies seem to be incorrect at least regarding
ARCH_CDB89712.

Yes, it is ugly annd error-prone.

> (I do have a simplified LEDS configuration set, but it still keeps
> one huge LEDS dependency.)

The current LEDS configuration is ugly, but that's not an ARM specific
problem. Compare e.g. the big #if in include/linux/parport.h 30 lines
before the end of the file in Linus' tree and see how this is resolved
in -mm in non-pc-parport-config-change.patch .

One solution for LEDS would be to add a helper option HAS_LEDS that gets
selected by the ARCH_* options if the platform supports LEDS, and LEDS
simply depends on HAS_LEDS.

cu
Adrian

"Only a promise," Lao Er said.