Re: pty_chars_in_buffer NULL pointer (kernel oops)

From: Marcelo Tosatti
Date: Sun Feb 27 2005 - 09:22:32 EST

(resending since first message didnt seem to go through)

Hi,

On Fri, Feb 18, 2005 at 10:56:53AM +0200, nuclearcat wrote:

> Is discussed at

> http://kerneltrap.org/mailarchive/1/message/12508/thread

> bug fixed in 2.4.x tree? Cause seems i have downloaded 2.4.29, and it
> is not fixed (still my kernel on vpn server crashing almost at start),
> i have grepped fast pre and bk patches, but didnt found any fixed
> related to tty/pty.

Can you please post the oops? Have you done so already?

What makes you think it is the same race discussed in the above thread?

BTW, I fail to see any drivers/char/pty.c change related to the race which triggers
the pty_chars_in_buffer->0 oops.

Quoting the first message from thread you mention:
"That last call trace entry is the call in pty_chars_in_buffer() to

/* The ldisc must report 0 if no characters available to be read */
count = to->ldisc.chars_in_buffer(to);
"

Alan, Linus, what correction to the which the above thread discusses has
been deployed?

> Provided in thread patch from Linus working, but after night i have
> checked server, and see load average jumped to 700.
> Can anybody help in that? I am not kernel guru to provide a patch, but
> seems by search in google it is actual problem for people, who own
> poptop vpn servers, it is really causing serious instability for
> servers.

Can you compile a list of such v2.4 reports?