Re: Bootsplash for 2.6.11-rc4

From: Pavel Machek
Date: Sun Feb 27 2005 - 14:44:16 EST

Hi!

> > Well, I like rhgb the best (because it is 100% userspace and I do not
> > have to deal with it :-), but it seems like bootsplash should be
> > deprecated in favor of fbsplash.
>
> well.. how much does it really need in kernel space? I mean, with all
> drivers as modules, and the "quiet" option, initramfs runs *really*
> fast. And that can just bang a bitmap to the framebuffer as first
> thing... (rhgb does it a bit later but that's a design choice in a
> feature vs early-boot tradeoff).

[aj added to the list].

Andreas, who is the person to talk about this? I like redhat's
solution the best. Pass "quiet", perhaps replace penguin with some big
picture including penguin and chameleon or something, and do the
interesting work in userspace...

That's the best solution, technically... Perhaps it is even acceptable
politically?

Pavel