Re: [2.6 patch] unexport do_settimeofday

From: Christoph Hellwig
Date: Sun Feb 27 2005 - 17:46:45 EST

On Fri, Feb 25, 2005 at 12:28:04AM -0800, Andrew Morton wrote:
> > for _set_ time of day? I really can't imagine anyone messing with that.
> > _get_... sure. but set???
>
> Sure. But there must have been a reason to export it in the first place.

NO. Speaking from experience there's tons of totally pointless exports.

> I don't see much point in playing these games. Deprecate it, pull it out
> next year, done.

Sorry, but without a development tree we don't want to play these deprecation
forever games. If you want a longer warning period open 2.7 now that we
can work ahead there and leave 2.6 alone. But restricting all kinds of
totally sane things from going in just doesn't work out.