Re: System call problem

From: linux-os
Date: Sun Feb 27 2005 - 18:08:11 EST

On Sat, 26 Feb 2005, Josef E. Galea wrote:

Hi,

I am implemeting a new system call for a project I'm working on. I added the system call to the file arch/i386/kernel/process.c and added the relevant entries in the files arch/i386/entry.S and include/asm-i386/unistd.h. My system call is made up of only two lines, a printk statement, and a return statement which gets the value of a field that I added to the task_struct structure.

I compiled and booted the kernel and am trying to build a user space application that uses my system call, however gcc is returning this error:
/tmp/cc4zgzUr.o(.text+0x4e): In functiono `get_rmt_paging':
: undefined reference to `errno'

Can anyone help me with this?

Thanks
Josef

You can't use kernel headers in user-mode functions. For one thing,
they bring in undefined stuff.

Your user mode code can, of course get the definition of errno
by #include <errno.h>. That's the errno that exists in every user-
mode 'C' program-developed process space. However, if get_rmt_paging
is not one of your functions, you are in trouble by mixing up
user-mode and kernel-mode headers.

Normally, the return value of a kernel function is checked and
if it's negative, the positive equivalent is put into the global
variable errno and then the return value is changed to -1. This
is where the user-mode reference to errno occurs.

Cheers,
Dick Johnson
Penguin : Linux version 2.6.10 on an i686 machine (5537.79 BogoMips).
98.36% of all statistics are fiction.