Re: Potentially dead bttv cards from 2.6.10

From: James Bruce
Date: Mon Feb 28 2005 - 09:49:04 EST

Well, are there any theories as to why it would work flawlessly, then after a hard lockup (due to what I think is a buggy V4L2 application), that the cards no longer work? That was with 2.6.10, but after they started failing I tried 2.6.11-rc5 and it doesn't work either. By the way, I sent the wrong output; what I sent was from 2.6.11-rc5. The 2.6.10 output is below, and looks similar except for generating a different error message.

An example of the kind of output I get from capture is here:
http://sponge.coral.cs.cmu.edu/~jbruce/temp/img0000.jpg
Which has some of the right colors, but all in the wrong places. Tracking seems to be off because the capture happens at irregular intervals. The following is the sort of thing a working card would produce:
http://sponge.coral.cs.cmu.edu/~jbruce/temp/overhead-view.jpg
Note that the two images should not be the same however, as one is from almost a year ago. I didn't save any of the recent working ones unfortunately. The camera S-video link still looks fine on a monitor, and testing with a different camera and component video yields the same sort of scrambled results as the first image above.

The reason I think my problem is possibly important is that I think I potentially found a way to PERMANENTLY KILL a bttv card FROM USERSPACE (emphasis added for any bttv users only half reading at this point).

In our case these are cards bought by our lab, and they were only $40 each, so they can be replaced. It'd be nice to protect other users from this problem however, since they may not be able to replace their cards as readily. Well also for me, since to get money for new cards I'd have to make the case that they wouldn't also blow up after a few days of use[1].

Thanks,
Jim Bruce

[1] The cards are actually >1 year old, but they sat in a running Linux machine without the bttv drivers loaded. They died after 3 days of working flawlessly in a new machine where they were actually being used.