Re: RFC: disallow modular framebuffers

From: Jeff Garzik
Date: Mon Feb 28 2005 - 22:48:22 EST

Adrian Bunk wrote:
Hi,

while looking how to fix modular FB_SAVAGE_* (both FB_SAVAGE_I2C=m and FB_SAVAGE_ACCEL=m are currently broken) I asked myself:

Do modular framebuffers really make sense?

OK, distributions like to make everything modular, but all the framebuffer drivers I've looked at parse driver specific options in their *_setup function only in the non-modular case.

And most framebuffer drivers contain a module_exit function.
Is there really any case where this is both reasonable and working?

It depends on the driver's level of hardware support, and the likely configuration of the hardware at boot time.

It is a case-by-case basis.

Jeff