Re: Bootsplash for 2.6.11-rc4

From: Michal Januszewski
Date: Tue Mar 01 2005 - 08:24:48 EST

On Mon, Feb 28, 2005 at 06:40:15PM +0100, Pavel Machek wrote:

Hi,

> > It doesn't really need vesafb for anything. Back in the days of 2.6.7
> > I used to release a version of bootsplash that had the dep. on vesafb
> > removed. It worked fine with at least some other fb drivers.
> >
> > You might also want to save yourself some work and try out an
> > alternative solution called fbsplash [1], which I designed after I got
> > tired of fixing bootsplash and which I actively maintain. Fbsplash
> > provides virtually the same functionality, and it has as much code as
> > possible moved into userspace (no more JPEG decoders in the kernel).
> mls suggested that there were some problems with matroxfb in the
> past. Have you seen something like that?

Possibly, but I can't recall what exactly was it about. All bugs in
fbsplash, that I have known of, have been fixed. If there are still some
problems with any fb drivers, please let me know.

Live long and prosper.
--
Michal 'Spock' Januszewski Gentoo Linux Developer
cell: +48504917690 http://dev.gentoo.org/~spock/