Re: Network speed Linux-2.6.10

From: Baruch Even
Date: Wed Mar 02 2005 - 04:38:57 EST

Paul Dickson wrote:
On Wed, 02 Mar 2005 01:02:50 +0000, Baruch Even wrote:

Might this be related to the broken BicTCP implementations in the 2.6.6+
kernels? A fix was added around 2.6.11-rc3 or 4.

Unlikely, the problem with BIC would have shown itself only at high speeds over long latency links, not over a lan connection.

I only mentioned the possibility because I saw the same profile given by
the PDF (the link was mentioned in the patch) while downloading gnoppix
via my cable modem. The oscillations of speed varied from 40K to 500+K.
The average ended up around 270K. (I was using wget for the download).

If it is indeed BIC than we have a bug where it doesn't shut itself off for low latencies. Since we don't test this case extensively here (we work to improve high-speed and just make sure we don't ruin slower speeds) I can't say it's impossible, try turning BIC off and see if it helps.

Due to the scenario that the OP gave it is more likely something to do with auto-detection somewhere along the way or a driver bug. It is also possible that I'm mistaken and it is BIC, never hurts to check.

Baruch