Re: 2.6.11: touchpad unresponsive

From: Miguelanxo Otero Salgueiro
Date: Wed Mar 02 2005 - 13:53:40 EST

Dmitry Torokhov wrote:

On Wed, 02 Mar 2005 16:55:59 +0100, MIGUELANXO@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
<MIGUELANXO@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I just compiled 2.6.11 from 2.6.10 config using 'make oldconfig',
activate new options to default values (i.e. set "main kernel lock
preemtive" to YES).

Booting X in new kernel makes my touchpad very unresponsive. I can't
click any longer in the touchpad area, and the touchpad doesn't response
when moving in small increments, so the whole experience is quite bad.

If it is identified as an ALPS touchpad you can try installing Peter
Osterlund's Synaptics X driver:

http://web.telia.com/~u89404340/touchpad/

Alternatively you can restore 2.6.10 behavior with psmouse.proto=exps
boot option (if psmouse is a module add "options psmouse proto=exps"
to your /etc/modprobe.conf).

Yes, it's an ALPS touchpad.

Ok, I compiled latest synaptics driver (synaptics-0.14.0) under the following conditions
- Enabled CONFIG_MOUSE_PS2 (already enabled)
- Enabled CONFIG_INPUT_EVDEV (this one on purpose)

I read README.alps so I tried patching the kernel with alps.patch as suggested. Looks like it didn't work because patch refused to patch already patched files. I gave a look at the patch and the kernel code, and they seem to be incompatible (maybe you need to release a newe patch).

So I proceded without the patched kernel, installing the synaptics driver using INSTALL and README.alps settings.

With plain INSTALL settings (no ALPS), the touchpad seemed responsible, but kind of slow. Simple or double click didn't work.

With README.alps settings, touchpad feels a lot like in 2.6.10, thought the "acceleration" seems to be non-linear.
Simple click worked BUT double-click didn't work. Horizontal/Vertical scroll and Click-n-Drag worked too, so I'm almost there.

I tried to patch alps.c using the tiny patch at README.alps but that didn't work either as that version is clearly not designed for 2.6.10 alps.c.

Thanks for your help.

By the way, I'm using a Toshiba laptop (Toshiba Satellite A10), maybe you would like to add that to your supported hardware list.