Re: [patch ide-dev 8/9] make ide_task_ioctl() use REQ_DRIVE_TASKFILE

From: Jeff Garzik
Date: Wed Mar 02 2005 - 14:06:15 EST

Bartlomiej Zolnierkiewicz wrote:
On Wed, 02 Mar 2005 01:08:56 -0500, Jeff Garzik <jgarzik@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Bartlomiej Zolnierkiewicz wrote:

Yes but it seems that you've assumed that ioctl == flagged taskfile
and fs/internal == normal taskfile which is _not_ what I aim for.

I want fully-flagged taskfile handling like flagged_taskfile() and "hot path"
simpler taskfile handling like do_rw_taskfile() (at least for now - we can
remove "hot path" later) where both can be used for fs/internal/ioctl requests
(depending on the flags).

There is no effective difference in performance between

writeb()
writeb()
writeb()
writeb()

and

if (bit 1)
writeb()
if (bit 2)
writeb()
if (bit 3)
writeb()
if (bit 4)
writeb()

The cost of a repeated bit test on the same unsigned long is _zero_.
It's already in L1 cache. The I/Os are slow, and adding bit tests will

certainly it is not _zero_ ;-)

I agree that it is negligible compared to the cost of I/O

True :)

Jeff