Re: Kernel release numbering

From: Richard Purdie
Date: Wed Mar 02 2005 - 19:18:58 EST

Linus Torvalds:
Namely that we could adopt the even/odd numbering scheme that we used
to do on a minor number basis, and instead of dropping it entirely like
we did, we could have just moved it to the release number, as an indication
of what was the intent of the release.

How about taking the idea a bit further and have two active versions. Eg: now 2.6.11 is out, new changes go into a 2.6.13 series. Any changes to make 2.6.11 (more :) stable go into a 2.6.12 series which is stability/security/whatever improvements rather than devel work.

This way you can shorten the length of the time the odd series spends in -rc and can spend more time accepting patches rather than having long periods where developers queue them. Distributors are encouraged to use the even numbers including the even -rc versions and to give feedback as to what stability/whatever patches need adding to the even series to keep them happy.

Just an idea...

Regards,

Richard