Re: RFD: Kernel release numbering

From: Jeff Garzik
Date: Wed Mar 02 2005 - 19:40:32 EST

Andrew Morton wrote:
Jeff Garzik <jgarzik@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

IMO too confusing.

2.6.even: bugfixes only
2.6.odd: bugfixes and features.

That doesn't even confuse me!

Developers right now are sitting on big piles, and pushing that back even further means every odd release means you are creating a 2.4.x/2.5.x backport situation every two releases.

No, there is no backporting. If you have a bug, fix it in 2.6.12-pre. There is no need to maintain that bugfix in your 2.6.13-candidate tree.

You are missing where the backporting is.

If the time between big merges increases, as with this proposal, then the distance between local dev trees and linux-2.6 increases.

With that distance, breakages like the 64-bit resource struct stuff become more painful.

I like my own "ongoing dev tree, ongoing stable tree" proposal a lot better. But then, I'm biased :)

Jeff