Re: RFD: Kernel release numbering

From: Jeff Garzik
Date: Wed Mar 02 2005 - 20:31:48 EST

IMO too confusing.

And it exacerbates an on-going issue: we are moving away from "release early, release often", as this proposal just pushes the list of pending stuff back even further.

Developers right now are sitting on big piles, and pushing that back even further means every odd release means you are creating a 2.4.x/2.5.x backport situation every two releases.

To take a radical position on the other side, I would prefer a weekly snapshot as the release, staging invasive things in -mm.

And I think -mm is not enough, even. We have to come up with new ways to manage this ever-increasing flow of data into our tree.

Jeff