Re: RFD: Kernel release numbering

From: Jeff Garzik
Date: Wed Mar 02 2005 - 21:34:30 EST

David S. Miller wrote:
On Wed, 02 Mar 2005 19:29:35 -0500
Jeff Garzik <jgarzik@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

If the time between big merges increases, as with this proposal, then the distance between local dev trees and linux-2.6 increases.

With that distance, breakages like the 64-bit resource struct stuff become more painful.

I like my own "ongoing dev tree, ongoing stable tree" proposal a lot better. But then, I'm biased :)

The problem is people don't test until 2.6.whatever-final goes out.
Nothing will change that.

And the day Linus releases we always get a pile of "missing MODULE_EXPORT()"
type bug reports that are one liner fixes. Those fixes will not be seen by
users until the next 2.6.x rev comes out and right now that takes months
which is rediculious for such simple fixes.

We're talking about a one week "calming" period to collect the brown paper
bag fixes for a 2.6.${even} release, that's all.

If we want a calming period, we need to do development like 2.4.x is done today. It's sane, understandable and it works.

2.6.x-pre: bugfixes and features
2.6.x-rc: bugfixes only

All this "I have to hold onto my backlog longer, WAHHH!" arguments are bogus
IMHO. We're using a week of quiescence to fix the tree for users so they
are happy whilst we work on the 2.6.${odd} interesting stuff :-)

If you think it will be only a week, you're deluding yourself. It will stretch out to a month or longer, and the backlog problems will be real.

A calming period is fine. But this even/odd mess is just silly.

Jeff