Re: RFD: Kernel release numbering

From: David S. Miller
Date: Wed Mar 02 2005 - 23:17:28 EST

On Wed, 02 Mar 2005 21:32:23 -0500
Jeff Garzik <jgarzik@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I also note that part of the problem that motivates the even/odd thing
> is a tacit acknowledgement that people only _really_ test the official
> releases.
>
> Which IMHO backs up my opinion that we simply need more frequent releases.

This more frequent release idea will basically mimmick what the
even/odd idea will do, except that even/odd will have specific
engineering goals. Development vs. pure bug fixing.

There are changes that simply have to sit for weeks if not months
in order for all the problems to be weeded out. I think something
like the 4-level pagetable stuff is the best example. And yes it
has to occur in Linus's tree so what precious few people do test
his live tree try out the new code.