Re: RFD: Kernel release numbering

From: Lars Marowsky-Bree
Date: Thu Mar 03 2005 - 09:32:26 EST

On 2005-03-02T15:23:49, Greg KH <greg@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > This could be improved: _All_ new features have to go through -mm first
> > for a period (of whatever length) / one cycle. 2.6.x only directly picks
> > up "obvious" bugfixes, and a select set of features which have ripened
> > in -mm. 2.6.x-pre releases would then basically "only" clean up
> > integration bugs.
>
> This is the way things work today already. The only exception being the
> networking code, but hey, networking's always been special :)

That's exactly what I'm saying. It already works this way, w/o
misleading the users and attaching confusing meaning to minor revision
numbers. It could do with being more clearly advertised and sticked to,
but that's about it.

Don't confuse more. People are already way to confused on their own.

If anything, if we expect a release to have ... interesting
side-effects, Linus will find just the funny words for the release notes
to say so ;-)

Sincerely,
Lars Marowsky-Brée <lmb@xxxxxxx>

--