Re: [Fwd: United States Patent: 6,862,609]

From: Jeff V. Merkey
Date: Thu Mar 03 2005 - 10:54:08 EST

Bernd Petrovitsch wrote:

On Wed, 2005-03-02 at 21:28 -0700, Jeff V. Merkey wrote:

Gene Heskett wrote:

On Wednesday 02 March 2005 21:36, Jeff V. Merkey wrote:

Another Linux patent.....

... and another - AFAICS obvious - trivial ("prior art") patent (but I'm
not fluent in patent quak, I'm just a simple systems engineer).

And one more reason to sent the European software patent directive
simply to hell, clarify in §52.2 to not patentability of "software"
discarding the word play of the patent attorneys and offices and get
into the head of the folks of the EPO (with whatever means are
necessary).

And that pretty much says it. Assigned to the Canopy Group. So SCO will have yet another lawsuit to threaten us with. If they survive

Apparently Canopy Group/SCO/... are not of the front of innovation since
"what is new on a RAID system in any way in 2005"?

the thrashing I've Been Moved will give them at the end of the day.

The way to fight the patents is for Linux developers to file their own and start putting down stakes.

Or simply drop the whole patent system as such. Apparently it is only
abused to make money of the inventions of others and for sure does not
help innovation as such in any way (it may help the lawyers, offices and
companies in that area - patent utilisation - to get rich but that area
has nothing to do with innovation).

Bernd

Patent law in the US is based on section 113 of the United States Constitution, and patents
are not going away. Live with guys. The best way to win the patent wars is for people
who do Linux development to file their own patents and put some stakes in the ground.

You guys keep saying, "stop the patents" but this is insanity. It's like all these big companies
used patents like swords and are hemming linux in, and Linux stands naked and defenseless.
You guys need to get your own swords and fight -- start filing patents -- go to this new law
center "Southern Poverty Law Center" they setup I read about and get these folks to start
filing patents on Linux code (before you disclose it that is) and protect yourselves. Then
you have ammo to negotiate cross patent agreements with MS and these other companies
to create a balance of power.

Jeff