Re: RFD: Kernel release numbering

From: Thomas Gleixner
Date: Thu Mar 03 2005 - 15:39:02 EST

On Thu, 2005-03-03 at 14:42 -0500, Jeff Garzik wrote:
> 1) Release maintainers need to avoid merging non-bugfixes. Lately, the
> key penguins _have_ been doing their job here. This manifested in
> 2.6.11-rc4, 2.6.11-rc5.

True, but the confidence of users in -rc is gone already. So testing
happens when the "stable" release is out, but thats too late.

> 2) This "flag day" when bugfixes-only mode starts needs to be completely
> obvious to _scripts_ and really dumb people. Posting to LKML "with this
> -rc, I am only taking serious bugfixes" doesn't cut it. There must be a
> clear, consistent point where testing may begin.

If you clearly seperate out the -rc process of the development tree then
it is no question how dump scripts and people are. The -rc tree is
untouchable for anything else than bugfixes.

tglx