Re: RFD: Kernel release numbering

From: Alan Cox
Date: Thu Mar 03 2005 - 17:28:24 EST

On Mer, 2005-03-02 at 22:21, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> - 2.6.<odd>: still a stable kernel, but accept bigger changes leading up
> to it (timeframe: a month or two).
> - 2.<odd>.x: aim for big changes that may destabilize the kernel for
> several releases (timeframe: a year or two)
> - <odd>.x.x: Linus went crazy, broke absolutely _everything_, and rewrote
> the kernel to be a microkernel using a special message-passing version
> of Visual Basic. (timeframe: "we expect that he will be released from
> the mental institution in a decade or two").

We still need 2.6.x.y updates on a more official footing and with more
than one person as the "2.6.x.y" maintainer. I think that is actually
more important.

The 2.6.<odd> thing is essentially irrelevant. You are just relabelling
pre
and rc to even and odd. It won't fool anyone into testing it more....