Re: RFD: Kernel release numbering

From: Bill Nottingham
Date: Thu Mar 03 2005 - 19:31:09 EST

Dave Jones (davej@xxxxxxxxxx) said:
> > [*] I don't know any details of the /proc incompatibility which davej
> > mentions, and I'd like to. That sounds like a screw-up.
>
> We changed the format of /proc/slabinfo. Running slabtop threw up
> an error message complaining that the format had changed.
>
> It was a graceful failure, but a failure none-the-less.
>
> Other failures have been somewhat more dramatic.
> I know ipsec-tools, and alsa-lib have both caused pain
> on at least one occasion after the last 2-3 kernel updates.

The ones I remember were:

- alsa-lib, as mentioned
- ipsec-tools/openswan needed updating when the kernel changed
to require forward SAs
- a old script on an earlier release needed fixed when usbdevfs finally
went from being deprecated to dead

SELinux changed froom 2.6.early to 2.6.current as well, IIRC.

Bill