Re: RFD: Kernel release numbering

From: Christoph Hellwig
Date: Thu Mar 03 2005 - 21:50:37 EST

On Thu, Mar 03, 2005 at 08:41:02PM +0100, Krzysztof Halasa wrote:
> > 2) After 2.6.11 release is out, there is no established process for
> > "oh shit, 2.6.11 users will really want that fixed."
>
> We can do 2.6.11.x scheme. For the last stable kernel, of course
> (i.e., one additional small patchset). No more 2.6.11.x when 2.6.12
> is out.

I'd rather say we don't guarantee there will be one anymore after 2.6.<next>.2
is out. First we need to provide it a little longer because .0 isn't alwaysas
stable as we want, second people will fix up older releases when they are
used as base kernel for distributions, and there's no point of not marking it
official if it is there.