Re: RFD: Kernel release numbering

From: Jochen Striepe
Date: Thu Mar 03 2005 - 22:55:29 EST

Hi,

On 03 Mar 2005, Andrew Morton wrote:
> 2.6.x is making good progress but there have been a handful of prominent
> regressions which seem to be making people think that the whole process is
> bust. I don't believe that this has been proven yet.

Sorry -- what you (with the vision of a kernel developer) are seeing
here surely is interesting, but it's not the point:

The point is what the *users* think. Just in case it still hasn't been
made clear enough in this thread: If your user base gets the impression
the development process isn't reliable any longer, you won't get your
kernel tested as much as you want.

Please remember why this thread started. It was a proposal to get more
users testing the rc kernels.

So I hope the latest proposal really helps making releases contain fewer
surprises.

Greetings,

Jochen.
--
All I want is a warm bed and a kind word and unlimited power.
-- Ashleigh Brilliant