Re: RFD: Kernel release numbering

From: Richard Purdie
Date: Fri Mar 04 2005 - 12:39:59 EST

Russell King:
On Fri, Mar 04, 2005 at 12:40:30PM -0000, Richard Purdie wrote:
I've found the arm cross compiler generated from openembedded
(http://openembedded.org) to be very reliable. The big advantage in using oe
would be that it is in active use so it is always highly likely to generate
a working compiler. Someone just needs to make it generate a
toolchain/compiler for external use[1], make it available somewhere and
advertise the fact its available. Generation of the toolchain could probably
be almost entirely automated.

I'll only believe it when I see it. The problem is this "someone"...
Who's going to forfill that space and produce some results?

Something tells me that we'll be very lucky to get a volunteer, let
alone see any results.

As an experiment I ran "bitbake meta-sdk" on my copy of openemedded. A while later I have these in the deploy directory amongst other things.

http://www.rpsys.net/openzaurus/arm-cross/binutils-cross-sdk-2.15.91.0.2-r5.tar.gz (3.8MB)
http://www.rpsys.net/openzaurus/arm-cross/gcc-cross-sdk-3.4.2-r0.tar.gz (17.5MB)

"bitbake binutls-cross-sdk" and "bitbake gcc-cross-sdk" are more efficient as they won't build all the other things in the sdk.

Generating a cross compiler from oe really is as simple as that. Setting up oe in the first place is a bit more tricky but too bad.

An improvement to the current situation might be some instructions and links to oe to tell people they can build a toolchain this way. Better still someone could run the above commands now and again and upload the files somewhere. I don't have anywhere I can host files that size on a permanent basis. I possibly could be persuaded to run the commands now and again if people were going to use the results. I'm in two minds though as generating your own from openembedded isn't difficult. Writing instructions for setting up oe to build it may be the best option.

Richard