Re: Linux 2.6.11.1

From: Randy.Dunlap
Date: Sat Mar 05 2005 - 13:50:27 EST

Linus Torvalds wrote:

On Sat, 5 Mar 2005, Jeff Garzik wrote:

Yup, BK could definitely handle that...

However, it's also true that the thing BK is _worst_ at is cherry-picking things, and having a collection of stuff where somebody may end up vetoing one patch and saying "remove that one".

So it's entirely possible that the proper tool to use for the first level is not BK at all, but the evolved patch-scripts that Andrew uses, in other words:

http://savannah.nongnu.org/projects/quilt

may well be a much better thing to use.

I love BK, but what BK does well is merging and maintaining trees full of good stuff. What BK sucks at is experimental stuff where you don't know whether something should be eventually used or not.

I almost volunteered (read: suckered) and would use patch-scripts
or quilt to do the job. It (the tool) seems to be a natural fit
for it (the job).

However, I'm happy with Greg and Chris doing it. :) suckers.

--
~Randy