Re: 2.6.11-mm1 (x86-abstract-discontigmem-setup.patch)

From: Dave Hansen
Date: Sat Mar 05 2005 - 15:55:08 EST

On Sat, 2005-03-05 at 15:35 +0200, Alexey Dobriyan wrote:
> > + }
> > + printk(KERN_DEBUG "\n");
> ^^^^^^^^^^
> > +}
>
> Too much KERN_DEBUG.

On my system, that ends up printing out 4 or 5 lines of output per node,
but it's quite invaluable if you're debugging early memory setup issues.
It is KERN_DEBUG after all. What does it do on your system?

I'm not horribly opposed to removing some of this output, let's just
make sure...

> > --- 25/include/linux/mmzone.h~x86-abstract-discontigmem-setup
> > +++ 25-akpm/include/linux/mmzone.h
>
> > +#ifdef CONFIG_HAVE_MEMORY_PRESENT
> > +void memory_present(int nid, unsigned long start, unsigned long end);
> > +#else
> > +static inline void memory_present(int nid, unsigned long start, unsigned long end) {}
> > +#endif
>
> > +#ifdef CONFIG_NEED_NODE_MEMMAP_SIZE
> > +unsigned long __init node_memmap_size_bytes(int, unsigned long, unsigned long);
> > +#endif
>
> #else
> static inline unsigned long node_memmap_size_bytes(...);
> #endif
>
> Is this needed?

It's really only used for the i386 NUMA architectures, but it is
necessary. We'll be overriding that discontigmem version for sparsemem,
which I'll be submitting soon:

http://www.sr71.net/patches/2.6.11/2.6.11-mhp1/broken-out/B-sparse-150-sparsemem.patch

-- Dave