Re: [RFQ] Rules for accepting patches into the linux-releases tree

From: Andres Salomon
Date: Sun Mar 06 2005 - 12:13:43 EST

On Sat, 05 Mar 2005 11:43:05 +0100, Andries Brouwer wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 04, 2005 at 02:21:46PM -0800, Greg KH wrote:
>
>> Anything else anyone can think of? Any objections to any of these?
>> I based them off of Linus's original list.
>>
>> thanks,
>>
>> greg k-h
>>
>> ------
>>
>> Rules on what kind of patches are accepted, and what ones are not, into
>> the "linux-release" tree.
>>
>> - It can not bigger than 100 lines, with context.
>> - It must fix only one thing.
>> - It must fix a real bug that bothers people (not a, "This could be a
>> problem..." type thing.)

An obvious fix is an obvious fix. It shouldn't matter whether people have
triggered a bug or not; why discriminate?

>> - It must fix a problem that causes a build
error (but not for things
>> marked CONFIG_BROKEN), an oops, a hang, or a real security issue.
>> - No "theoretical race condition" issues, unless an explanation of how
>> the race can be exploited.

I disagree w/ this; if it's an obvious fix, there should be no need for
this. Either it's a race that is clearly incorrect (after tracing through
the relevant code), or it's not.

>> - It can not contain any "trivial" fixes in it (spelling changes,
>> whitespace cleanups, etc.)

This and the "it must fix a problem" are basically saying the same thing.

> Objections - no. Anything else - yes. I would like the requirement: "It
> must be obviously correct".

It seems like this would be the primary thing that matters. The rest of
them (aside from the "fixes only one thing" and "no cleanups" rules)
overlap considerably.