Re: BUG: Slowdown on 3000 socket-machines tracked down

From: Christian Schmid
Date: Mon Mar 07 2005 - 09:36:51 EST

Ben Greear wrote:
Its a full-duplex. Its a download-service with 3000 downloaders all over the world.

So actually it's really mostly one-way traffic, ie in the download direction.
Anything significant at all going upstream, other than ACKs, etc?

Not much. See on the graph. The red is the downstream ;)

Yes. send-buffer to 64 kbytes and receive buffer to 16 kbytes.

With regard to this note in the 'man 7 socket' man page:

NOTES
Linux assumes that half of the send/receive buffer is used for internal kernel struc-
tures; thus the sysctls are twice what can be observed on the wire.

What value are you using for the sockopt call?

First I used 64 * 1024 but some months ago I checked with getsockopt and realized that it always gives twice of the value back. So I just have done 64 * 512 ;)

Chris