Re: Touchpad "tapping" changes in 2.6.11?

From: Dmitry Torokhov
Date: Mon Mar 07 2005 - 11:38:05 EST

On Mon, 07 Mar 2005 17:10:27 +0100, Henrik Persson <root@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Dmitry Torokhov wrote:
> > On Mon, 07 Mar 2005 14:14:02 +0100, Henrik Persson <root@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> >>Hi there.
> >>
> >>I noticed that the ALPS driver was added to 2.6.11, a thing that alot of
> >>people probably like, but since my touchpad (Acer Aspire 1300XV) worked
> >>perfectly before (like, 2.6.10) and now the ALPS driver disables
> >>'hardware tapping', wich makes it hard to tap. I commented out the
> >>disable-tapping bits in alps.c and now it's working like a charm again.
> >>

> > Hi,
> >
> > Could you please try 2.6.11-mm1. It has bunch of Peter Osterlund's
> > patches that shoudl improve the situation with tapping.
>
> Well, -mm1 didn't quite agree with my savage gfx drivers. But I'm
> booting with psmouse.proto=exps now, and it's working the way I'm used
> to now.
>
> The Aspire 1300-series is quite different from the 1350 ones.. The
> touchpad on the 1300 will work like a charm without the synaptics driver
> (but no fancy stuff is supported, I guess). Before you could boot and be
> happy without the synaptics driver, now you probably have to install the
> synaptics driver to be happy.. Maybe that's not so good. :)
>
> Could this touchpad use the "exps" proto as default and then you could
> reconfigure if you want to use the ALPS driver..?

We (well Peter and Vojtech mostly as I don't have ALPS touchpad in my
box) are trying to make ALPS work as it was working before even
without Synaptics X driver without any additional options, please bear
with us.

Still I think having Synaptics driver installed is the best way in the
end simply because it has a lot of knobs so one can adjust tpouchpad's
behavior to his/her liking. Maybe once distibutions start packaging
and activating it by default it will be less of an issue.

--
Dmitry