IProute2 questions

From: DervishD
Date: Mon Mar 07 2005 - 11:42:06 EST

Hi :))

I want to upgrade my iproute2 package, in my do-it-yourself linux
box. I'm currently using iproute2-ss010824.

I've gone to the distribution sites and I find a lot of iproute2
flavors... Namely:

- 2.2.4 'ss' version
- 2.4.7 'now-ss' version
- 2.6.10 version
- 2.6.10 'ss' version

All versions have a datestamp, too. My question is very simple:
which flavor do I have to use? I'm going to use it under 2.4.x
kernels, but the last 2.4.x version of iproute2 has a date of
2002-01-16, pretty old it seems... Can I use the 2.6 series of
iproute or are they intended for 2.6.x kernels? What does 'ss' mean?
does it refer to the 'ss' (socket-status or something like that)
binary? Why is the 'ss' missing from some 2.6.10 versions?

Thanks a lot in advance :)))

Raúl Núñez de Arenas Coronado

--
Linux Registered User 88736