Re: [CHECKER] crash after fsync causing serious FS corruptions (ext2,2.6.11)

From: Robert Hancock
Date: Mon Mar 07 2005 - 20:01:15 EST

Jens Axboe wrote:
fsync on ext2 only really guarantees that the data has reached
the disk, what the disk does it outside the realm of the fs.
If the ide drive has write back caching enabled, the data just
might only be in cache. If the power is removed right after fsync
returns, the drive might not get a chance to actually commit the
write to platter.

Is this really the behavior in the current kernel? If so this seems quite wrong to me - if the application did an fsync, I think the kernel should be sending cache flush commands to the drive before the call completes..

--
Robert Hancock Saskatoon, SK, Canada
To email, remove "nospam" from hancockr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx