Re: Bootsplash for 2.6.11-rc4

From: Michal Januszewski
Date: Mon Mar 07 2005 - 22:03:11 EST

On Sun, Feb 27, 2005 at 01:03:33PM -0800, Greg KH wrote:

> Care to create a patch for the silent mode now? That should be simple
> enough to get into the kernel, and will be a good place to build off of
> for the rest of the things people want (verbose mode, etc.)

I've just sent the whole thing split up into seven parts. After working
on both fbsplash and splashutils for the last few days, I came to the
conclusion that the initial silent mode patch wouldn't make much sense
(it would create a short fbsplash.c file with a single call to
call_usermodehelper()) and the whole splash interface thing would
completely pointless.

I tried to move as much as possible into userspace. If anyone can find
away to move more code to the userspace, please let me know -- I'd be
glad to make fbsplash even lighter :)

Live long and prosper.
--
Michal 'Spock' Januszewski Gentoo Linux Developer
cell: +48504917690 http://dev.gentoo.org/~spock/