Re: [Alsa-devel] Re: intel 8x0 went silent in 2.6.11

From: Pierre Ossman
Date: Tue Mar 08 2005 - 07:50:01 EST

Takashi Iwai wrote:

At Tue, 08 Mar 2005 02:10:06 +0100,
Pierre Ossman wrote:

Takashi Iwai wrote:

Look at /etc/asound.state whether it contains the value of "Headphone
Jack Sense" control true or false.

It saves the setting once I've been in 2.6.11. From an earlier kernel
there is no such entry.

Of course, the earlier version didn't have this.

And did you take a look at the latest content? What stands on it?
Maybe you once saved a value wrongly corrected by any reason?

I'm not sure what you mean. In the 2.6.10 version the last entry is 'Stereo Mic'. In 2.6.11 there's 'Headphone Jack Sense' and 'Line Jack Sense' following that.
From what I can tell every entry seems valid.

My question is its 'value'. The entry in /etc/asound.state should
have a boolean value.

Let me repeat the explanation of the situation:

The existence of 'Headphone Jack Sense' and 'Line-in Jack Sense'
controls themselves are not the problem. If they are set off, the
behavior of the driver must be identical with the older version.
No regression. The patch I mentionted turns off them as default unless
the device is known to work. But the controls still exist, and you
can change them afterward manually.

That patch is probably what's missing then. Everything works fine here now that I've turned of the 'Sense' channels. And there is no problem retaining that value each reboot. The issue was that things stopped working during the upgrade and the solution was far from obvious.

So I'm not having any problems with this change anymore. I was just thinking about the other poor sods who are upgrading to 2.6.11 =)

Rgds
Pierre