Re: RFD: Kernel release numbering

From: Ralf Baechle
Date: Tue Mar 08 2005 - 10:13:37 EST

On Fri, Mar 04, 2005 at 03:26:32AM -0800, Andrew Morton wrote:

> > Looking at the http://l4x.org/k/ site, it appears that all -mm versions
> > have broken ARM support with the defconfig, while Linus kernels at least
> > build fine.
>
> It's very much in an arch maintainer's interest to make sure that
> cross-compilers are easily obtainable. Any hints?

In theory. In practice on some platforms we need special compiler patches
which will never be accepted into gcc upstream or are restricted to
particular versions of tools. Building crosstools is tricky and yet it
seems every moron really has to toll it's own from his private mouldy
collection of patches. The whole tools stuff has become very much a
battlefield of it's own.

Ralf