Re: RFD: Kernel release numbering

From: Lee Revell
Date: Tue Mar 08 2005 - 19:19:27 EST

On Wed, 2005-03-09 at 00:25 +0100, szonyi calin wrote:
> I reported once a bug on alsa-devel and cc-ed on lkml
> The sequencer isn't working with my card cs4239 with alsa.

What exactly do you mean by "it isn't working"?

90% of "MIDI does not work" bug reports are from users who expect
playing MIDI files to work OOTB like it does on Mac and Windows.

This only works because those OS'es come bundled with a toy softsynth.
With ALSA, you either need a supported hardware wavetable synth
(emu10k1) or a real soft synth like Timidity or Fluidsynth.

Anyway, please repost your bug report to alsa-devel. There is no point
in cc'ing LKML for ALSA problems, unless you find a problem like a
regression in ALSA functionality from one kernel release to another.

Lee