Re: current linus bk, error mounting root

From: Steven Cole
Date: Wed Mar 09 2005 - 15:55:01 EST

Jon Smirl wrote:
On Wed, 09 Mar 2005 12:16:44 -0500, Jeff Garzik <jgarzik@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Jon Smirl wrote:

Something in the last 24hrs in linus bk broke my ability to mount root:

Creating root device
Mounting root filesystem
mount: error 6 mounting ext3
mount: error 2 mounting none
Switching to new root
Switchroot: mount failed 22
umount /initrd/dev failed: 2

If I back off a day everything works again.

Root is on Intel ICH5 SATA drive.

dmesg output?

Can you verify that -bk4 works, and -bk5 breaks?

bk4 works. I don't have a serial port hooked up so there is no way to
get dmesg, but I don't see anything obvious on the screen scrolling
by.

I'll check bk5 next.

It would be much more convenient if the bkN releases were tagged in Linus bk.

Yes, and name them -preN instead. ;)

I had a slightly different problem mounting root with an earlier -mm, which
was fixed by setting CONFIG_BASE_FULL=y. I saw that option enter the
Linus tree recently, so that might be something you could try.

Steven