Re: a problem with linux 2.6.11 and sa

From: Paul Jarc
Date: Wed Mar 09 2005 - 18:39:35 EST

"George Georgalis" <george@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> It (Gerrit Pape's technique) very defiantly stopped working a few revs
> back (2.6.7?). I'm seeing a similar failed read from /dev/rtc and
> mplayer with 2.6.10, now too.

The /proc/kmsg problem happens because the kernel now checks for
permission at read() instead of open(). The /dev/rtc problem seems to
be a different beast.

> while read file; do mplayer $file ; done <mediafiles.txt
>
> Failed to open /dev/rtc: Permission denied
>
> for file in `cat mediafiles.txt`; do mplayer $file ; done
>
> works.

To simplify, what about these two:
mplayer foo.mpg
mplayer foo.mpg < mediafiles.txt

You might try strace'ing both cases and see how they compare.

paul