Re: Direct io on block device has performance regression on 2.6.xkernel

From: David Lang
Date: Wed Mar 09 2005 - 23:25:02 EST

On Wed, 9 Mar 2005, Andrew Morton wrote:

David Lang <dlang@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

(I've seen a 50%
performance hit on 2.4 with just a thousand or two threads compared to
2.6)

Was that 2.4 kernel a vendor kernel with the O(1) scheduler?

no, a kernel.org kernel. the 2.6 kernel is so much faster for this workload that I switched for this app and never looked back. I found that if I had 5000 or so idle tasks 2.4 performcane would drop to about a quarter of 2.6 (with the CPU system time being the limiting factor)

David Lang

-- C.A.R. Hoare